There is something about a perfectly grilled hot dog on a summer day and today just happens to be National Hot Dog Day.
Whether you like yours with ketchup, mustard, relish, Coney Island sauce or something else, there are plenty of places to celebrate today.( Thu Apr 28 15:45:47 PDT 2011 $__output )
Head to a hot dog cart near your, or you could really go for it and take the hot dog tour.
(Yes – hot dog tour.) A documentary of the same name came out, featuring Connecticut as a hot dog hotspot.( Thu Nov 17 14:44:50 PST 2011 $__output )
The hot dog documentary features:
- Blackie’s Hot Dog Stand, 2200 Waterbury Road in Cheshire, home of the famous homemade secret spicy relish recipe.
- Weiners On Water in East Haddam, which happens to be a hotdog boat.
- Rawley’s Drive-In, 1886 Post Road, in Fairfield
- Super Duper Weenie, 306 Black Rock Turnpike, in Fairfield
- Glenwood Drive-In, 2538 Whitney Ave, in Hamden, where the award-winning hot dogs are just part of the menu.
- Capitol Lunch, 510 Main St, in New Britain and its famous meat sauce.
- The Dawg House, 1360 East St., New Britain
- Bobby’s Place in Niantic
- Top Dog Hot Dog in Portland
- Frankies – multiple locations: In 2011, Forbes picked Frankie’s in Waterbury as having one of the 10 best hot dogs in America.
- Frankies of Watertown Ave, 700 Watertown Ave., Waterbury
- Frankies of Reidville Drive, 464 Reidville Drive, Waterbury
- Frankies of Chase Ave., 348 Chase Ave, Waterbury
- Frankies of Straits Turnpike, 535 Straits Turnpike, Watertown
- Frankies of Bristol, 1195 Farmington Ave., Bristol
- Frankies of West Haven, 1151 Orange Ave., West Haven
( Tue Jun 26 13:42:01 PDT 2012 $__output )
Man vs. Food has made the trip here and indulged at Woody’s in Hartford for its Deputy Dog, which is covered in pulled pork and cheese, and at Doogies in Newington for the 2-foot-long Doogie dog.
Viewers also recommend Tomlinson's in Bridgeport. It's located at 140 Noble Avenue, in case you want to try for yourself, or Sonic.
If you live in Old Saybrook, head over to the Rabbit Hole Tavern and try a Jack Rabbit Dog. The Symba Dog comes with chipotle ketchup and grilled mac and cheese. They also sell a Ruben Dog, with Swiss cheese, Russian dressing and sauerkraut.
We can also boast that New Haven is home to Hummel Brothers and its many varieties of franks.
If you want to grill your own, try Chef Chris Prosperi's recipe for onions in tomato sauce.
Where is your favorite place to grab a hot dog in Connecticut and what do you top it with?