There is something about a perfectly grilled hotdog on a summer day and today just happens to be National Hot Dog Day.
Whether you like yours with ketchup, mustard, relish, Coney Island sauce or something else, there are plenty of places to celebrate today.
Head to a hot dog cart near your, or you could really go for it and take the hotdog tour.
(Yes – hot dog tour.) A documentary of the same name came out, featuring Connecticut as a hot dog hotspot.
You might not think of Wayback Burgers as a place for hot dogs, but it is and the first 50 people at participating stores will get a free Wayback dog, which comes with bacon, cheese, onions and Wayback Gold Sauce.
The hot dog documentary features:
- Blackie’s Hot Dog Stand, 2200 Waterbury Road in Cheshire, home of the famous homemade secret spicy relish recipe.
- Weiners On Water in East Haddam, which happens to be a hotdog boat.
- Rawley’s Drive-In, 1886 Post Road, in Fairfield
- Super Duper Weenie, 306 Black Rock Turnpike, in Fairfield
- Glenwood Drive-In, 2538 Whitney Ave, in Hamden, where the award-winning hotdogs are just part of the menu.
- Capitol Lunch, 510 Main St, in New Britain and its famous meat sauce.
- The Dawg House, 1360 East St., New Britain
- Bobby’s Place in Niantic
- Top Dog Hot Dog in Portland
- Frankies – multiple locations: In 2011, Forbes picked Frankie’s in Waterbury as having one of the 10 best hot dogs in America.
- Frankies of Watertown Ave, 700 Watertown Ave., Waterbury
- Frankies of Reidville Drive, 464 Reidville Drive, Waterbury
- Frankies of Chase Ave., 348 Chase Ave, Waterbury
- Frankies of Straits Turnpike, 535 Straits Turnpike, Watertown
- Frankies of Bristol, 1195 Farmington Ave., Bristol
- Frankies of West Haven, 1151 Orange Ave., West Haven
Man vs. Food has made the trip here and indulged at Woody’s in Hartford for its Deputy Dog, which is covered in pulled pork and cheese, and at Doogies in Newington for the 2-foot-long Doogie dog.
Viewers also recommend Tomlinson's in Bridgeport. It's located at 140 Noble Avenue, in case you want to try for yourself, or Sonic.
We can also boast that New Haven is home to Hummel Brothers and its many varieties of franks.
If you want to grill your own, try Chef Chris Prosperi's recipe for onions in tomato sauce.
Where is your favorite place to grab a hotdog in Connecticut and what do you top it with?