Thousands of runners will be heading to Hartford this weekend for the Hartford Marathon.
The NU Hartford Marathon and Half Marathon begin at 8 a.m. in Bushnell Park on Saturday. Wheelchair participants start at 7:55 a.m.
The course begins on Capitol Avenue in front of the State Capitol grounds and several roads will be closed in Hartford, West Hartford, East Hartford and in South Windsor.
A 5K race will also be held. It kick off at 8:01 a.m. at Washington Street and Buckingham Street at the red balloon arch. A children’s race will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Elm Street by Pulaski Circle.
Event organizers expect 20,000 runners to participate in the road race, with an additional 40,000 to 50,000 spectators and volunteers also on hand.
Between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., exhibitors will participate in an outdoor expo at Bushnell Park.
Road closures will include:
- Capitol Avenue, between Oak Street And Hudson Street from 12:01 a.m. on Saturday.
- Lafayette Street will be closed between Capitol Avenue and Russ Street as of 12:01 a.m. on Saturday.
- Trinity Street will be closed between Ford and Elm streets, west Of Pulaski Circle as pm noon today.
- Trinity Street will be closed between Elm Street And Capitol Avenue as of 11 p.m. on Friday.
- Elm Street will be closed from Trinity Street To Pulaski Circle as of 9 a.m. on Thursday.
A variety of local businesses in Hartford are offering special deals for Marathon runners and spectators.