Bronx Bus Crash Driver Speaks for First Time | NBC Connecticut

Bronx Bus Crash Driver Speaks for First Time

Bus crashed on return from Mohegan Sun.



    Emergency personnel investigate the scene of a bus crash on Interstate-95 in the Bronx borough of New York Saturday, March 12, 2011. At least 13 people died when the bus, returning to New York from a casino in Connecticut, flipped onto its side and was sliced in half by the support pole for a large sign. (AP Photo/David Karp)

    The bus driver involved in the fatal crash that killed 15 people returning from Mohegan Sun on Interstate-95 spoke publicly for the first time Monday, saying he is "hurt" and "having a difficult time."

    Ophadell Williams, with a lawyer by his side, stepped outside his home to speak to NBC New York briefly about the crash.

    "I am having a difficult time breathing," Williams said, clearly distraught and shaken by the events of the last nine days.

    "I am really hurt about the whole situation," Williams added before choking up and heading back inside.

    His wife Holly Williams said:

    "It's a tragic thing for all parties.  The families of the victims are hurting.  We are all hurting together."

    Williams was driving the Worldwide Tours Bus from Mohegan Sun to Chinatown when it crashed into a pole, killing 15 passengers and injuring 18 others.

    Williams has claimed a truck clipped his bus causing the crash.

    Investigators have said they are looking into whether he was asleep or distracted at the wheel.  They also said his driving privileges had been suspended from past infractions he received under an alias.

    Williams lawyer Howard Lee also spoke outside the home Monday.  Lee said Williams is being made a scapegoat for the tragedy.

    "It appears that the authorities are not intent in fact-finding and are more interested in assigning blame," Lee said.  "And it appears he is an easy target. "