Carbon Monoxide Sends Nine to Hospital | NBC Connecticut

Carbon Monoxide Sends Nine to Hospital

5 children sent to Yale New Haven Hospital

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Police Blotter

    A charcoal grill may be to blame for sending nine people, including children to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

    The Wallingford Police Department received a call around 7:45 p.m. Thursday about an emergency situation at a home on Spring Street. When officers responded to the scene, they found a young girl in medical distress. 

    The fire department was also called to the scene and they determined that the house had extremely high levels of carbon monoxide inside. Four other children and their mother were also in the home, officials said.

    The five children, as well as their mother, were transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment.

    According to the police report, the two responding officers and a firefighter were taken to MidState Medical Center to be evaluated due to their exposure.

    The family was cooking on a charcoal grill inside the kitchen, and it appears that was the source of the carbon monoxide, according to police.