More Insurance Companies Waive Hurricane Deductibles

There are 28 companies so far.

Tuesday, Sep 6, 2011  |  Updated 1:56 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Look Back at Hurricane Irene

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Several more companies have agreed to waive hurricane deductibles for residents who suffered damage during Tropical Storm Irene and the state is speaking with more companies to try and reach an agreement with more.

Gov. Dannel Malloy said this could amount to as much as $100 million in waived fees, according to estimates from the insurance department. As of 2002, the state was ranked third for the most expensive residences in the country, so the cost to residents to replace lost property could be significant.

According to Malloy's office, the companies are: 

  • ACE
  • Allstate
  • Bunker Hill
  • Connecticut FAIR Plan
  • Farm Family
  • Farmers Insurance
  • Fidelity National
  • Fireman's Fund
  • Hartford
  • Liberty Mutual 
  • MetLife
  • MiddleOak
  • New London County Mutual  (NLC)
  • Privilege Underwriters Reciprocal Exchange (PURE)
  • Quincy Mutual Fire Insurance Company
  • Safeco
  • Tower
  • Travelers
  • Utica National
  • Utica First
  • Universal North America
  • Vermont Mutual

“We are grateful that so many companies have stepped up do the right thing and we will continue our efforts with others in the industry,” Malloy said. “Certainly, what has been accomplished so far is gaining a much-needed financial break for many, but the long-term benefits of helping individuals put their lives back together are incalculable.”

Another six companies, Chubb, Factory Mutual, Hanover, Kemper, Nationwide and Peerless, are not applying the hurricane deductibles because triggers were not met, according to Malloy.

To date, up to 244 homes have been recognized as destroyed or severely damaged, Malloy said.  The total dollar figure of that damage is not yet available.

Malloy said it appears that seven, if not eight of the state’s counties, will be declared for public assistance because thresholds have been met.

The state will be receiving funds to help deal with road damage. The U.S. Department of Transportation is making $1 million in Emergency Relief Funding for clean-up and bridge and roadway infrastructure repairs as a result of Irene.

The state Department of Transportation will have immediate access to the funds to pay for clean-up costs and for damages incurred to the roadway network as a result of the powerful storm, Malloy said.

DOT’s early estimates for cleanup and repair costs exceed $5 million, including roughly $1 million in cleanup for local roads. The state is looking for additional federal funds.

Route 72 is the only main road system out of service, according to the governor.

As the holiday weekend beings, Malloy said he will be in Eastern Connecticut on Sunday. He also provided an update on what has been distributed at Rentschler Field: more than 27,000 cases of water have been disbursed, along with more than 13,000 ready-to-eat meals, 18 pallets of ice, 12 pallets of baby food.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out