When the State Bond Commission meets next week, it is expected to approve $750,000 toward the design of a new building for Newtown’s Sandy Hook Elementary School, Gov. Dannel Malloy said on Friday.
Six months ago, on Dec. 14, a gunman shot and killed 20 students and six educators inside the school.
“There are many decisions to be made when it comes to the construction of a new school. There will be many challenges along the way. But it’s my hope that by announcing this funding today, we can help Newtown continue with the healing process.” Gov. Dannel Malloy said in a statement. “Our thoughts are with those 26 angels today and their families. Their memories will forever be close to our hearts.”
Malloy said the funding is being made available to help the project, which is in its early stages, begin moving forward as quickly as possible.
“On the sixth month anniversary of 12/14, my thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims and their families. I am pleased that the State of Connecticut is contributing to the effort to help Newtown heal and rebuild,” State Senate Minority Leader John McKinney, whose district includes Newtown, said in a statement.
Earlier this month, the state General Assembly approved legislation authorizing a separate allocation of up to $50 million in bonding for the school's construction.
Malloy said all funding will be issued on an expedited basis.
The bond commission meeting will be held on Friday, June 21 at 10:30 a.m. in Room 1E of the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.