Four employees at a New Haven Walgreens pharmacy were taken to the hospital after a chemical leak at the store.
The incident happened at the pharmacy at 88 York Street, according to police. The store was closed for several hours following the spill but reopened shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Employees noticed a container leaking and put it in a trash bin and took it outside, according to Fire Chief Allyn Wright. The leaking chemical reacted with something in the trash bin, making the employees sick.
The victims were vomiting when firefighters arrived on the scene just before noon, Wright said. Witnesses told NBC Connecticut at two women were on the floor and very dizzy.
One of the four victims was released from the hospital by Wednesday afternoon, but the other three were still being observed, fire officials said.
Walgreens issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon:
"We can confirm that team members noticed an odor and contacted the local authorities. The safety of our employees and customers is our top priority. We are assisting with the investigation but I would refer you to the authorities for further information.”