The chief state's attorney's office could investigate the City of Hartford's controversial purchase card program.
David McDonald, a city councilman, planned to introduce a resolution at Monday night's council meeting that would pave the way for a probe into so-called p-cards.
"Really any issue of whether or not any laws were broken is not under our purview to figure out and I want to make sure they review that and we do our due diligence," McDonald said.
Last week Mayor Pedro Segarra put a stop to the use of city credit cards for entertainment purposes.
A recent city audit examined more than 450 purchases on city issued credit cards. It recommended better oversight and enforcement of the p-card program. One of the most controversial items was a $700 dinner at Max's Downtown on New Year's Eve. That dinner featured caviar which cost taxpayers $110.
Mayor Segarra's chief of staff has since paid back the city more than $450 for that dinner.
"The oversight was so poor and the policy and procedures that were in place weren't enforced," Shawn Wooden, city council president, said. "I'm upset about it. I totally get it. I'm a taxpayer here in this city."
Mayor Segarra made changes to the p-card policy after the audit was released.
"Constant review, analysis and sound management of all city operations has been a hallmark of my time as Mayor and these actions are consistent with my philosophy," Segarra said.
Councilman Kenneth Kennedy planned to bring up a separate resolution that would call for the end of the p-card program altogether.
Both resolutions will go to committee before the full council votes on them.