A fire broke out Saturday morning at this home on Dorothy Lane in the Terryville section of Plymouth.
Police and fire officials are investigating a house fire that broke out Saturday morning at 47 Dorothy Lane in the Terryville section of Plymouth.
It happened around 4:45 a.m. Saturday, according to firefighters on scene.
Three members of the Barnard family were inside the home and woke up when the fire alarm sounded. They managed to get out safely.
No one was seriously injured, but Steve Barnard's 24-year-old daughter, Kristen, was treated on-scene for smoke inhalation, Barnard said.
He said the family is grateful for the smoke detectors, which may have saved their lives.
"I think it would be a wake-up call for anybody," said Barnard. "Without that smoke alarm, she was sleeping, she probably would never have woke up. I might not have woken up until I smelled something or heard, you know what I'm saying?"
Fire officials said the fire broke out in Kristen's bedroom. The family believes it was an electrical fire, but the fire marshal is working to make an official determination.
Firefighters at the scene said the flames were contained to the front of the house and spread from Kristen's room to a second bedroom.
"My room is ruined, and one of my chinchillas died," Kirsten Barnard said.
The fire chief said it was the second fire of the day in Terryville – another fire in town broke out around 1 a.m.