Liz Dahlem, NBC Connecticut
Fire broke out at this house on Wethersfield Avenue in Hartford on Tuesday morning.
Firefighters battled a fire at 245 Wethersfield Avenue in Hartford on Tuesday morning and said the house was being used as storage space, which made it a difficult blaze to extinguish.
When crews arrived at the vacant house around 6:30 a.m., there was an unusual amount of smoke due to the burning furniture and belongings jammed into the house.
'It's almost like they were using it as a garage and they were loading a whole bunch of stuff in there," Deputy Chief Samuel Goicoechea, of the Hartford Fire Department, said.
Kenneth Walker lives next door to the house and said there has been a lot of junk inside for years.
"It's been an eyesore in this area for about two years now," he said.
The owner of the building also owns Vera's Market next door and did not want to speak with NBC Connecticut.
City inspectors spent the morning at the building.
The fire marshal is investigating.