- 7/8 Cup all purpose flour (can measure 1 cup and remove 2 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ Cup corn flour- yellow or white (not cornmeal)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ Lb. calamari - cleaned, cut into small rings
- ½ Cup evaporated milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat an 8” deep pot filled less than halfway with vegetable oil until 375° Fahrenheit. (Use deep fry thermometer).
- Combine the all purpose flour, cornstarch, corn flour, and baking powder, mix thoroughly. Place the calamari rings in the evaporated milk. Remove and let excess drip off. Quickly coat the rings with the flour mixture, tossing evenly to coat. Shake off excess flour mixture.
- Carefully fry only about 1/3 of the breaded calamari at a time for about 1 minute or until light golden brown and cooked through. Drain on towels or paper plate, and season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Repeat procedure with remaining fish. Serve with cole slaw and sriracha mayonnaise (recipe below) and a lime or lemon wedge.
For Sriracha Mayonnaise
- ½ Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha - or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Red Onions or Shallots-mince
- 1 tsp. Fresh Lime or Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Lime or Lemon Zest
- To taste salt and black pepper.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Serve with the fried calamari.
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com