Power was out after an explosion at the sewage treatment plant in East Lyme today.
Residents of East Lyme were asked not to flush their toilets for awhile after a small explosion at the town sewage treatment plant this morning, but the flushing can now resume.
There was an explosion inside a small electrical panel at the town sewage treatment plant on Main Street in Niantic, near Dad’s Restaurant, around 11 a.m., police said.
Two town workers were hurt and have been taken to a local hospital. The injuries the sustained are not life-threatening, police said.
Town officials had asked residents to refrain from flushing as they worked to restore power to the building, but the plant was running on generator power as of 1:30 p.m.
Electricians responded and were hoping to have power restored within an hour.