Hunger Striking Inmate Moved Off Death Row

Eduardo Santiago will get privileges unavailable to death-row inmates

By Pat Eaton-Robb
|  Tuesday, Oct 1, 2013  |  Updated 8:07 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Hunger Striking Inmate Moved Off Death Row

Eduardo Santiago is on death row, but the case has been delayed until after the state Supreme Court decides whether the state's repeal of capital punishment last year is constitutional.

advertisement

A Connecticut inmate who launched a hunger strike to protest his confinement conditions has been moved off death row more than a year after his sentence was overturned.

Eduardo Santiago tells The Associated Press that he is now in a new cell at the Northern Correctional Institution, and has been told he will have access to privileges that are unavailable to death-row inmates.

Santiago began a hunger strike two weeks ago to protest his continuing detention on death row despite a June 2012 Supreme Court ruling that threw out his sentence and ordered a new sentencing hearing for a 2000 murder-for-hire.

Santiago says the move lifts the stigma of being a death-row inmate.

Department spokeswoman Karen Martucci says the decision to relocate Santiago was unrelated to his protest.

Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anytimeiPhone/iPad/Android App | SMS AlertsTwitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out