Teens Help Save Victims From Hartford Fire

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2013  |  Updated 6:00 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Teens Help Save Victims From Hartford Fire

NBCConnecticut.com

Fire caused damage to a home in Hartford this morning.

Fire officials are crediting two teens with helping to save victims of a house fire in Hartford early Wednesday morning.

Flames erupted inside the three-story home at 190-192 Edgewood Street around 2:50 a.m.  Everyone made it out safely, thanks to the "heroic actions" of a 17-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy, officials said.

According to fire officials, the 17-year-old girl passed her seven brothers and sisters through a first-floor window to safety.  The 16-year-old boy led his sister out of the second floor and alerted the third-floor residents to the fire.

A neighbor ran to the house and carried the teens' disabled mother to safety, officials said.

The fire started when a space heater ignited bedding on the first floor, according to the Fire Marshal's Office.  It has been ruled accidental.

Smoke alarms recently installed in the home by the Hartford Fire Department initially alerted the first floor residents to the fire, officials said.  The Department installed the alarms as part of its Operation Safe Holiday Smoke Alarm Program.

In all, 17 people were displaced by the fire.  The American Red Cross and the City of Hartford are helping to relocate the families.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
9/27-9/28 - Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out