Fire Out at Ansonia Business

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Audrey Washington, NBC Connecticut

    Firefighters have put out a fire at the Farrel Pomini on West Main Street in Ansonia.

    The fire started in the furnace at the back of the building, then quickly spread to the walls, according to fire officials.

    "On arrival, they found that the furnace had backfired, which caused the wall and the floor inside the boiler room to catch on fire.(It) blew out a couple of window and the doorway," Ron Burgess, of the Ansonia Fire Department, said.

    When the fire department arrived around 7 a.m., heavy black smoke was shooting out of the smokestack. The fire was out within about 20 minutes.

    The fire caused a delay in Metro-North service because the fire department had to run a hose across the tracks.

    The company’s world headquarters are located at 25 Main St. in Ansonia. No one was in the building when the fire started, so there were no injuries.

    The 170-year-old company started as a foundry and manufacturer of rubber, according to its Web site.