Fire broke out Tuesday in an area under renovation at the Huntington Street courthouse in New London.
Firefighters responded to the courthouse at 70 Huntington Street in New London after fire broke out in an older section of the building.
The fire started in the attic, according to fire officials.
The building was evacuated and later closed for the day.
Construction workers were doing renovation work in that area of the building, and fire officials believe a spark from pipe work may have caused the fire.
The flames were contained to the attic, but other floors sustained water damage, fire officials said.
The damaged area is being assessed and it could be some time for it is available to be used, according to a spokesperson for the state's Judicial Branch. There is a smoke smell in the newer section of the building. Court officials will be back in the morning to determine if the court will be able to reopen on Wednesday.