New Haven firefighters responded to two separate fires around the same time on Wednesday, then were called to a gas leak.
The first fire was at 594 George St. The multifamily building was destroyed and 10 people were displaced.
"It’s a very smoky fire; a very hot fire," New Haven Fire Chief Michael Grant said.
As firefighters were working on extinguishing that fire, they were called to another fire on Whalley Avenue. The fire was nearly extinguished as of 3:30 p.m.
Then, there was a gas leak in the East End of the city.
Because resources were so stretch, surrounding towns provided mutual to cover the fire departments and the New Haven fire department called in off-duty firefighters.