Fire Damages Multi-Family Home in Waterbury

Monday, Mar 18, 2013  |  Updated 3:24 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fire Damages Multi-Family Home in Waterbury

advertisement

A  fire at a multi-family home on Proctor Street in Waterbury on Tuesday was sparked by a ruptured gas line.

A contractor replacing gas equipment outside an apartment building at 61 Proctor Street believed gas service had been shut off and began cutting the gas service pipe around 11:30 a.m., according to fire officials.

While cutting, the contractor detected leaking gas and realized the service had not been shut off.  The worker tried to stop the leaking gas and ordered other employees and residents out of the building, officials said.

The contractor was unable to stop the leak and moved away from the building as well.  Shortly after that, the gas ignited, causing an explosion and fire, according to fire officials.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control at 1:05 p.m.  The building was a total loss, fire officials said.

Two families were displaced by the fire.  They are being assisted by the Red Cross.

Investigators will try to determine the ignition source that sparked the leaking gas and caused the fire, officials said.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out