A firefighter is in the hospital after battling a fire in Wolcott that left a mother and her son homeless.
Officials said the fire started in the one-story single-family home on Shelton Avenue around 2:45 a.m.
Flames were shooting out of the windows when firefighters arrived.
The fire chief says something was smoldering inside the kitchen and it appears that a cooking accident might have caused the blaze.
The mother and son were able to get out without any injuries, but a firefighter had to be rushed to the hospital to be treated for burns to his ears. He is now in good condition.
The cause of the fire is still investigation.