Gearing Up for Mardi Gras
Break out the masks, costumes and the multi-colored beads – it’s that time of year again!
Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday,” concludes the Carnival season, falling this year on March 4. If you can’t make it down to New Orleans for the holiday festivities, there are a number of events taking place here in Connecticut to make you feel like you’re right there in the Big Easy.
- The New Haven Free Public Library will be hosting their 9th annual Mardi Gras Gala on Fat Tuesday, March 4, from 5:30-9:30 p.m. for a night of delicious food and wine, jazz music and more. Costumes are encouraged, and beads will be provided. You can visit the library’s website, nhfpl.org, for more information.
- The Mohegan Sun Casino is bringing New Orleans to Connecticut with a Fat Tuesday celebration on March 4, complete with dancers, a juggler, unicyclists, a live DJ and even a chance to win a trip to New Orleans for next year's Mardi Gras. The celebration will be taking place between 2-7 p.m. at The Shops at Mohegan Sun Concourse, and 8-11 p.m. at the VISTA Lounge (guests must be 21 or over to enter the lounge).
- Black-Eyed Sally’s BBQ and Blues, at 350 Asylum Ave. in Hartford, will be serving up an all-you-can-eat Southern lunch buffet on Fat Tuesday, March 4, along with happy hour specials, free vittles, and a dinner menu featuring New Orleans specials. The evening will also feature live bayou music, stilt walkers, face painters and beads.
- The Haddam Republican Town Committee is holding a Mardi Gras Extravanagza on Friday, Feb. 28 at The Riverhouse, on 55 Bridge Rd. in Haddam. The event will have a cash bar, live music and New Orleans style cuisine. Residents are encouraged to dress up, and mingle with neighbors! The cost of the event is $40 per person, or $45 per person at the door. Checks can be made payable to: HRTC and mail to Cheryl Haase, 35 Bartman Road, Higganum, CT 06441. Tickets will be mailed to you.
- The New England Carousel Museum will be in full carnival mode during its 24th Anniversary Mardi Gras celebration on Saturday, March 1, from 7 to 11 p.m. at 95 Riverside Ave. in Bristol. The Museum will feature a jazz quartet, as well as a silent auction, wine and bourbon tasting and plenty of food. Attendees are encouraged to dress up for the occasion and to BYOB. The cost is $50 per person. RSVP by Feb 24. by calling 860-585-5411.