Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
People walk near a storm-damaged home along the waterfront in the aftermath of Sandy on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012, in Milford, Conn. Sandy, the storm that made landfall Monday, caused multiple fatalities, halted mass transit and cut power to more than 6 million homes and businesses. (AP Photo/The Connecticut Post, Brian A. Pounds) MANDATORY CREDIT
Gov. Dannel Malloy said he will seek $3.2 billion from the federal government to improve the state's infrastructure following damage from a series of hard-hitting storms.
The governor said Connecticut might not have been affected as severely as New York or New Jersey by Superstorm Sandy, but the state suffered significant damage from that storm as well as Hurricane Irene and the snowstorm that hit in October of last year.
The three storms combined caused more than $1 billion in damage to the state, according to the governor.
Connecticut will seek $620 million for the state and municipalities for prevention and mitigation measures, of which $495 million would be for municipalities and $125 million would be for the state.
Malloy is asking for $2.5 billion to upgrade power transmission systems, replace and harden the current infrastructure, relocate power lines underground and establish micro-grids in selected high density areas.
“Changing weather patterns are a reality, and we must assume that the worst Mother Nature can throw at us hasn’t happened yet,” Malloy said in a statement. “This funding would allow us to invest in a few areas that would put us in a better position to handle the inevitable when it occurs. “
Malloy said the funds would also help fortify the coastline.
“(I)t would give us the ability to mitigate future environmental damage by investing in the sewage treatment plants that spill over into Long Island Sound with disturbing regularity during weather related events,” Malloy said.
He informed the state's congressional delegation on Thursday of his plans to submit the requests.