The Hartford Board of Education will hold a special meeting tonight over its decision to stop providing free SAT testing for high school students. The payment change came late last week and sparked protests from students.
Four days after seniors at Hartford Public High School walked out of class in protest of the board of education’s vote against funding free SATs for students, the board will vote again.
A special Hartford Board of Education meeting will be held on Tuesday night, where members will again vote on a contract with the College Board to provide free SAT preparation and testing to all juniors and seniors during the school day.
Supt. Christina Kishimoto has been in favor of funding the tests, but the Hartford Board of Education voted last Monday night against spending $100,000 to renew the contract with the College Board to provide services through Sept 30.
The students walked out of class at 9 a.m. on Friday after learning that the first 45 students in line for waivers would be granted them, but the plan changed as the students waited.
As the students lined up, school administrators decided instead offer waivers to the 45 students with the highest GPAs.
"Everbody deserves a chance. I'm sorry, everyone deserves a chance to get a education. I don't see what -- to become something -- it makes me very upset," Shaynian Gilling.
Principal Adam Johnson feels it’s unfair the students were told about the fees just three days before the deadline.
“Most of these kids are frustrated. They are saying they need the system to help, not hold (them) down," Johnson said.
The fee for the SAT is $50, according to the College Board Web site. A basic subject test and the language with listening tests cost another $23, while all other subject tests are $12.
The meeting tonight is at 5:30 p.m.
Should the board vote to renew the contract, students hope that it will be in place before the remaining tests on Nov. 3 and Dec. 1.