Christmas Tree Sparks House Fire, Witnesses Say

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Laurie
    Twenty people are without a home after this Enfield house burst into flames early Sunday.

    Nearly 20 people lost their homes Sunday morning after a fire tore through a multi-family home on Church Street.

    The fire department arrived on scene around 5:30 a.m. and were greeted by heavy smoke and large flames shooting out of the home.

    According to a witness, the home has about five apartments and housed both adults and children.

    All the occupants made it out safely.

    Witnesses also say that the fire was started after a Christmas tree burst into flames. Firefighters recovered charred Christmas gifts from the burning home.

    Church Street was closed at North Main Street while the fire department worked.

    The American Red Cross came to the scene to assist 17 adults and seven children, eight families altogether. They provided clothes, toys for the children and put the families up in a motel until Christmas Eve, according to a resident.