Victim Identified in House Fire in North Branford

William Antonopoulos, 34, died of smoke inhalation according to the State Medical Examiner.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Neighbors said a mother and her two middle-aged sons live in the house and a family member said her step-brother did not make it out of the house. (Published Friday, Jan 11, 2013)

    The North Branford Police Department has positively identified the victim of a fatal house fire on Friday.

    William Antonopoulos, 34, died of smoke inhalation, according to the state medical examiner.

    One Dead in House Fire in North Branford

    [HAR] One Dead in House Fire in North Branford
    Several people were able to get out of the house, but one was not. (Published Friday, Jan 11, 2013)

    The fire started around 6 a.m. on Friday.

    Several people were able to get out of the house, but Antonopoulos was not.

    On Friday morning, neighbors said a mother and her two middle-aged sons live in the house.

    Officials said the flames were so strong that they had to pull firefighters back for fear that the roof would collapse and that is what happened.

    The fire chief said a neighbor placed a ladder at the back of the house and tried to help Antonopoulos out, but the fire was too intense. Antonopoulos was found at the back of the house, officials said.

    This was the first fatal fire in North Branford in more than 20 years.  

    Investigators said there was no sign of working smoking detectors. An investigation is underway.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anytimeiPhone/iPad/Android App | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | First Alert Weather Days