3 Storm-Related Deaths in Connecticut

A person was killed by a falling tree in Mansfield and a firefighter was killed in Easton

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012  |  Updated 11:44 AM EDT
View Comments (
Your Hurricane Sandy Photos

An Easton firefighter died from injuries sustained when a tree fell on his truck.

Photos and Videos

Fairfield Residents Flock To Shelter

As Hurricane Sandy topples trees and brings flooding to Fairfield, evacuation holdouts make their way to the shelter at Ludlowe High.
More Photos and Videos

Superstorm Sandy has claimed the lives of an Easton firefighter, a 90-year-old Mansfield woman and a 34-year-old man who officials said went swimming in heavy surf during the storms on Monday.

Olga Raymond, 90, was killed when a tree fell as she and two other family members were trying to get to a neighbor's house on West Highland Road, state police said. 

The family lost power and was attempting to make its way to the home that still had electricity, police said.

The tree that fell had a power line wrapped around it, police said. The power company and a tree service responded to extricate Raymond from the tree and power line.

The other two victims suffered serious injuries and an ambulance transported them to Windham Hospital.

The office of the chief state medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause of Raymond's death.

Lt. Russel Neary, an Easton firefighter,  died from injuries suffered when a tree fell on his truck on Monday evening on Judd Road in Easton, according to the Easton Fire Department.

"Our hearts go out to his family, his friends, and fellow firefighters. Our first responders put their lives on the line, and when one of them loses their life,  we all feel the pain," Gov. Dannel Malloy said during a news conference on Tuesday morning.

While officials have confirmed two deaths, at least one other person is missing after a storm-related incident.

Complete Sandy Coverage

According to the police Coast Guard, Brian Bakunas, 34, jumped from a pier around 8 p.m. on Monday  and was last seen swimming in heavy surf near the Walnut Beach Pier.

A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station New Haven conducted a search of the area and were notified by Milford Police Department that they had located the missing swimmer and he was deceased, according to the Coast Guard.

The search will resume in daylight on Tuesday. A helicopter will be used for the search.

On Sunday, a kayaker was reported missing off of Silver Sands Beach in Milford. He is still missing, according to the Coast Guard.

When storms happen, stay with NBC Connecticut anytime to be prepared

Sign up for school closings and alerts

Check the interactive radar

View photos of extreme weather from 2013

Send us weather photos

Connect with us through social media:

iPhone/iPad/Android App | SMS AlertsTwitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
Leave Comments
Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out