Milford Fire Department Capt. Christopher Waiksnoris checks for residents during another evacuation due to high tide in Milford, Conn., Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012. Superstorm Sandy made landfall Monday, and caused multiple fatalities, halted mass transit and cut power to more than 6 million homes and businesses. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)
The state says more than $28 million in federal assistance has so far been approved to help individuals with expenses related to Superstorm Sandy.
Gov. Dannel Malloy said Connecticut feels a strong impact from the damage from the storm that struck the Northeast on Oct. 29.
More than 11,700 Connecticut residents in Fairfield, Middlesex, New Haven and New London counties, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and Mohegan Tribal Nation have registered for federal disaster assistance.
About $10 million has been approved for housing assistance, including short-term rental assistance and home repair costs.
And more than $683,000 has been approved to cover other disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses and lost personal possessions.
If you received damage from Storm Sandy and live in one of the declared counties, you must register with FEMA before Jan. 28 to begin the disaster assistance process, if you haven’t done so already, according to the governor’s office.
Residents in Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex, and New London counties as well as businesses across the state that suffered damage from Storm Sandy are encouraged to register with FEMA by either calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or through www.DisasterAssistance.gov. For those with speech or hearing disabilities, the TTY number is 1-800-462-7585.
Residents seeking additional information are encouraged to download the fact sheet available at www.ct.gov/sandy.