The Connecticut Post reports that the death of Peaches the orange-colored corn snake has drawn dozens of online expressions of shock and dismay and has made children cry. The snake was an attraction at the Huntington Branch Library for the past eight years.
Peaches suffered chemical burns and kidney damage when the solvent was dumped on it at some point between noon and 1:15 p.m. on March 18. Veterinarians tried to save the snake, but couldn't.
Library director Shawn Fields said town police are investigating the animal cruelty.
A local girl gave the snake to the library years ago because she was heading off to boarding school.