Students at New Haven public schools are on vacation this week for April break, but six schools will remain open so that young people have somewhere to go to be safe.
This is part of the city’s broader plan to keep youth positively engaged and safe in the wake of recent gun violence that killed two New Haven teens, Taijhon Washington, 17, and Torrence Gamble, 16.
Washington was killed in a shooting near Lincoln Bassett Elementary School in New Haven last month.
Earlier this month, Gamble, a student of Riverside Academy, was shot in the head on Daggett Street in New Haven.
After the shootings, Mayor Toni Harp said she planned to have teachers, coaches and church leaders go door to door and talk to families to gain a better understanding of how to help New Haven teens.
The schools to remain open, Monday through Thursday, include the Wexler-Grant School, Hillhouse High School, Ross-Woodward School, Troup School, Martinez School and Clemente Leadership Academy. They will be open from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
City and school officials said programs offered at the schools during vacation week will range from Parks and Recreation Department-sponsored sports and activities to workshops facilitated by local community organizations committed job training, youth empowerment and nonviolence.
Hot dinners will also be provided at the schools.
In addition to giving students a safe place to be, the schools will also be a place where youths can eat a hot meal and engage in positive activities.