Officials Investigate Carbon Monoxide-Related Death in Milford

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014  |  Updated 3:29 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Officials Investigate Carbon Monoxide-Related Death

Carbon monoxide detector

The Milford Fire/Rescue Department is issuing a warning about carbon monoxide after a 55-year-old Milford man with elevated levels died at the hospital on Tuesday.

The fire department responded to 144 Juniper Drive just after 7 p.m. on Tuesday for a possible carbon monoxide problem after the Milford Hospital Emergency Room contacted them.

A patient from the house was in cardiac arrest and had been brought to the ER an hour earlier. Tests revealed high carbon monoxide levels and officials said the patient died from his condition.

The fire department went into the house with air packs to use gas meters and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide in the basement and the garage, where the patient had been found.

The exact cause of the gas emissions is undetermined and the investigation is underway.

The Milford Fire Department is reinforcing the importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in all levels of your home.

They advise that you check them once a month and change the batteries twice a year.

Any detector that is over 10 years old should be replaced with a new one.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
9/27-9/28 - Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out