Enrollment in the state's health care exchange has cut the number of uninsured residents by 50 percent over the past two years, Access Health CT officials said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
Officials said 53 percent of Access Health's nearly 257,000 enrollees were previously uninsured. Access Health has helped lower the state's uninsured rate from 7.9 to 4.0 percent.
Gov. Dannel Malloy, Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, and Access Health CEO Kevin Counihan, announced the milestone at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
“These numbers highlight Connecticut’s success in coming together to find ways to provide quality, affordable health care to those who previously didn’t have it,” Malloy said in a statement Wednesday.
The state health insurance exchange has been in operation since the fall of 2013. Open enrollment begins again Nov. 15.