A 16-year-old Torrington boy was transported to Bridgeport Hospital by LifeStar on Thursday after he was badly burned while pouring gasoline onto a backyard fire pit, according to authorities.
The teen was with two other teens in the backyard of a home on Palmer Bridge Street when he added lighter fluid from a gasoline container to a fire pit.
The container caught fire, exploded and burned the teen's chest, rib and extremities, officials said.
Police said they received several 911 calls reporting a male running with his clothes on fire.
Neighbors attempted to extinguish the flames by using a fire extinguisher on him.
The teen is in stable condition. The other two teens with the victim were not injured.