Juvenile Charged in Ledyard High School Instagram Threat Case | NBC Connecticut

Juvenile Charged in Ledyard High School Instagram Threat Case

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    (Published Friday, April 21, 2017)

    Ledyard police have arrested a juvenile in the Ledyard High School Instagram threat case.

    Police said a juvenile has been charged with second-degree breach of peach and second-degree threatening.

    School officials were alerted last week about social media posts with the suggestion that “something” might happen at Ledyard High School.

    Police said they have found no credible evidence of a threat but officers were at Ledyard High School on Thursday and Friday as a precaution.

    "We do not believe there is credible threat and our first priority is the safety of our staff and students. This is an incredibly close knit community and we take issues like this very seriously," Supt. Jason Hartling said in a statement.

    A statement from Principal Amanda Fagan says the school was initially made aware of a rumor Thursday and they met with the student named and found no posts that constituted a specific threat to Ledyard High School students.

    As school officials met with students, they learned no one had seen a specifically threatening post or the heard the student who was named make any threats, according to the principal.

    Later in the day, school officials learned about an Instagram account perpetuating the idea of a shooting.

    “Unfortunately, later in the day, we learned of an Instagram account that was created today, perpetuating the idea of a shooting. Again, we have shared all of our information with the Ledyard Police, and they are working with Instagram to find the point of origin of the account,” Fagan wrote.

    Investigators followed up with Facebook and Google.

    No additional information was released.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android