A car drove into a 1,000 gallon propane tank in Washington early Sunday morning causing a leak which ignited an explosion inside town hall.
The Washington Depot Fire Department responded to 2 Bryan Memorial Plaza around 1:30 a.m. It was there they discovered that a car had driven into a propane tank, causing the tank to leak.
The leak made its way into town hall and found an ignition source, causing an explosion.
The explosion blew out windows in the main hall and destroyed a portion of the stage. In the rear of the building the boiler room, a meeting room, and the basement suffered serious damage from the force of the blast. There was no smoke or fire damage.
No one was injured in the blast.
"There were people in tears yesterday because this building is our historic center. Everything is done here," Washington resident Gary Fitzerbert said.
Linsdey Gruson from Washington couldn't believe how Town Hall looked following the blast, "It's an extraordinary amount of damage from what you'd think would be a minor event."
Washington finally recovered from an accidental fire in May that detsroyed the town's highway garage. Equipment and 6 trucks were lost in the blaze.
The equipment and trucks have been replaced but now the town will have to deal with their insurance company once again to fix Town Hall.
First Selectman Mark Lyon says he expects Town Hall to be open for business Tuesday morning and the town to get the damaged parts of the building fixed soon.