Parts of the Quinnipiac River Bridge will be closed this weekend as the Department of Transportation continues a long-term construction project.
While the highway itself won't be completely closed, there will be exit ramps and lanes shut down.
“One lane (will be) open at night over the course of the weekend. Two lanes will be open during the day. Exit 50 on ramp southbound will be closed, and there will be restrictions for Exit 46 from I-95 Southbound,” said Brian Mercure, Assistant District Engineer for the DOT.
All of it will start on Friday, July 26 at 8 p.m. and continue until 6 a.m. Monday, July 29.
“What we really need to do is take all the traffic on I-95 Southbound that's on the old Q-Bridge and put it on the new Q-Bridge so we can continue to work,” said Mercure.
The DOT is putting out the word about the Q-Bridge, which is actually named the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge, so that drivers can make alternate arrangements.
“It's a mad house now. It's going to be worse when they shut it down,” Gene Frat said last week. “When you have all the traffic going around, especially during the summer, it's going to be a mad house. I'm staying away from the highway,”
That is actually something the DOT suggests.
DOT officials are asking drivers to reduce their speed when going through the area, so that they can make sure to read all the signs detailing the construction and detours. Plan for delays and arrange that alternate route ahead of time to bypass the traffic nightmare that will be I-95 in New Haven, according to DOT officials.
“What good weekend is a good weekend to do it? I've said this in the past, in New Haven, there isn't really one, so this is part of our schedule and when all is said and done, the region will be better off for it,” said Mercure.
The construction is weather-permitting. If it rains, it will be pushed back a week.
For more on the project, check the Q Bridge Web site.