Tens of thousands of people are expected in Hartford this weekend for the ING Hartford Marathon amid the Broad Street Bridge & Streetscape project, which has been going on for a year.
Construction started in June 2012, at an estimated cost of $11 million, to replace the existing Broad Street Bridge over the Amtrak rail line to accommodate the CTfastrak transit service.
Finishing touches to the project, including final paving and line striping, will be completed in November, according to state officials.
In advance of the marathon, Hartford police are warning drivers about road closures.
Runners and spectators are expected, beginning at 7:30 a.m. in Hartford, West Hartford, East Hartford and South Windsor.
For anyone arriving between 7:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. on Marathon Day, the only highway exit that will be open is Interstate 84 East, exit 49 to Ann/High Street area.
North of Bushnell Park. Paid parking is available in this area.
Highway Closures on Saturday:
- Exit 48B Capitol Avenue closed from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Exit 48A Asylum Street closed until 12 p.m.
- Exit 53 East River Drive closed until10 a.m.
- Exit 48 Westbound traffic only until 12 p.m.
- Exit 54 Founders Bridge eastbound closed (westbound remains open into downtown Hartford)
- Exit 50 Main Street closed until 9 a.m.
- Exit 32B Trumbull Street closed until 9 a.m.
- Exit 31 State Street closed until 9 a.m.
I-91 Northbound: Exit 32B Trumbull Street closed until 9 a.m.
Route 2 Westbound: Exit 3 Pitkin Street closed until 2 p.m.
- Capitol Avenue will be closed between Oak Street and Hudson Street at 12:01 a.m. on October 12 .
- Lafayette Street between Capitol and Russ Street will be closed at 12:01 a.m. on October 12.
- Trinity Street between Ford Street and Elm Street (west Of Pulaski Circle) is already closed.
- Trinity Street between Elm Street and Capitol Avenue will close at 11 p.m. on Friday.
- Elm Street from Trinity Street to Pulaski Circle will close Friday at 9 a.m.
- Access will be allowed to West Street from Pulaski Circle via HPD by request.
- There will be no access to Clinton Street on October 12 from 12:01 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Road closures and travel delays will begin at 7:30 a.m. and exist throughout the city of Hartford and surrounding towns until 2 p.m.
Click here for more information on the traffic impact.
No parking restrictions will be in effect for the following roads and towing will begin at 5 a.m. on Saturday:
- Main Street: Both sides from Pearl Street to Park Street
- Washington Street: Both sides between Capital Avenue and Park Street
- Park Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Laurel Street: Both sides between Park Street and Capitol Avenue
- Capitol Avenue: Both sides between Laurel Street and Washington Street
- Lafayette Street: Both sides between Capitol Avenue and Russ Street
- Russ Street: Both sides between Lafayette Street and Washington Street
- Hudson Street: Both sides between Buckingham Street and Pulaski Circle
- Wells Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Jewell Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Ford Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Pearl Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Church Street: Both Sides between Main Street and Trumbull Street
- Market Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Sheldon Street: Both sides between Charter Oak Avenue and Prospect Street
- Antheneum Square: Both sides for the entire length
- Prospect Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Charter Oak Avenue: Both sides between Prospect Avenue and Main Street
- Charter Oak Avenue: Both sides between Sheldon Street and Van Dyke
- Wyllys Street: Both sides between Main Street and Wethersfield Avenue
- Buckingham Street: Both sides for the entire length
- Whitney Street: Both sides between Asylum Avenue and Farmington Avenue
- Farmington Avenue: Both sides between Whitney Street and Asylum Avenue
- Broad Street: Between Asylum Avenue and Capitol Avenue
- Asylum Avenue: From Broad Street to Ford Street
- Asylum Avenue: From Prospect Avenue to Whitney Street
- Central Row: Both sides for the entire length
- State Street: Both sides for the entire length
West Hartford Road Closures:
Road closures, detours and heavy traffic delays are expected from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in the areas:
- Park Road
- South Quaker Lane
- Fern Street
- Trout Brook Drive
- Albany Avenue
Star Shuttle in downtown Hartford
On Friday and Saturday, Star Shuttle will operate from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. On Sunday, the Star Shuttle will provide service between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
On Saturday, the route will be different due to the Marathon.
CT Transit - Bus Service Disruption:
During the ING Hartford Marathon, there will be temporary service disruptions and delays for Downtown Hartford, West Hartford and East Hartford bus service.
In Downtown Hartford, all bus stops on Main Street between South Green and Church Street will be closed at 6:00 am. All buses will only serve temporary stops at Church and Main Street.
Local police, race organizers and volunteers will be stationed along the course route (to assist with foot traffic, spectator questions and motorists
For more information, follow the Hartford Marathon on Twitter.