Its been 11 months since the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary and theres a renewed effort by some of the families who lost their kids that day
Almost one year has passed since the tragic school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. and a grassroots group made up of several people who lost loved ones in shooting has a new campaign to address gun violence.
Sandy Hook Promise is reaching out to parents around the country after seeing its push for federal legislation fall short in Washington and they want 500,000 people to join their effort between now and Dec. 14.
"Since its founding last December, Sandy Hook Promise has been seeking ways to bring Americans together to help prevent gun violence," said Nicole Hockley, the mother of six-year-old Dylan, who was killed at Sandy Hook Elementary. "Last year at this time, I was that mom who was deeply saddened by the violence I saw on the news, but I didn't think I could do anything to change it. But then it struck home and I knew that to honor Dylan's life, I had to get involved to prevent other parents from experiencing this grief. Through Parent Together, we will build on our common ground as parents and our love for our children to create a national community empowered to make our children safer."
Sandy Hook Promise, formed shortly after the Dec. 14 massacre of 26 people at the Sandy Hook Elementary School with the goal of turning the tragedy into a moment of transformation for a horrified nation.
"We can reset the conversation with what we have in common, rather than what our difference are, and that's how we can move this forward," said Mark Barden, who's son, Daniel, was killed at Sandy Hook.
The group announced “Make The Promise to Parent Together” on Thursday that it wants to recruit 500,000 parents to its cause in the month between now and the anniversary of the shootings. The campaign will raise awareness about programs that could be implemented locally to prevent violence.
You can watch the public service announcement here.