In the more than three months since a gunman killed 20 elementary school students and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, disturbing details continue to emerge about the horrors that happened in that school building.
According to a report today in the New York Daily News, police found an elaborate 7-foot-tall, 4-foot wide spreadsheet documenting other mass shootings at the home of Adam Lanza and they believe the man behind the massacre was keeping a macabre score sheet of sorts.
The Daily News columnist reports that the information comes from a talk State Police Colonel Danny Stebbins gave during the International Association of Police Chiefs and Colonels mid-year meeting, held last week in New Orleans, and cites the unnamed source of the information as a “law enforcement veteran” who was at the conference.
"This was the work of a video gamer, and that it was his intent to put his own name at the very top of that list. They believe that he picked an elementary school because he felt it was a point of least resistance, where he could rack up the greatest number of kills. That’s what (the Connecticut police) believe," the source told the New York Daily News.
The agenda for the conference states that Stebbins was to speak on Thursday morning about the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting, active shooters and dealing with mass casualty events.
The Daily News’ source went on to say that police believe Lanza killed himself inside the school so that a police office would not kill him thus, in his mind, get his "points."
Before killing himself, Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, in the Newtown home they shared and the Daily News reports that police think she was making "straw" gun buys for her son.
State police released a statement about the report.
"The recent seminar during which the Newtown case was discussed was designed for law enforcement professionals only. Law enforcement sensitive information was discussed dealing with tactical operational approaches employed by first responders on the day of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School,” Lt. Paul Vance, of Connecticut State Police, said in a statement.
"Officer safety and public safety along with lessons learned from the incident were discussed. Following each tragic mass murder incident in this country it is customary for law enforcement to share their lessons learned from the investigation so that other law enforcement agencies can learn."
The statement from Vance goes on to say that State Police have not and will not speak publicly on the ongoing Sandy Hook investigation and that no information will be distributed until the families of the victims have been informed first.
"The families of the victims continue to be a priority in this investigation and this fact was clearly stated at the seminar," Vance said. "It is unfortunate that someone in attendance chose not to honor Colonel Stebbins’ request to respect the families’ right to know specifics of the investigation first."
Police said they expect that the final Connecticut State Police report will not be completed for several months.