Smoldering Ashes Spark Kitchen Fire in Norwalk

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Norwalk Fire Department
    Fireplace ashes caught fire in this Norwalk kitchen, damaging about 100 sq. ft. of hardwood flooring, according to the fire department.

    The Red Cross is helping a Norwalk family after a bag of ashes caught fire and damaged their kitchen this afternoon, according to the fire department.

    The fire broke out just before 1 p.m. Wednesday at 18 Red Oak Lane in Norwalk. Firefighters said smoke was pouring from the chimney of the two-story home, and the resident who called 911 initially thought the fire had started there.

    Investigators later learned that the fire began in the kitchen, where a bag of smoldering fireplace ashes had been stored. The fire burned 100 sq. ft. of plywood and hardwood flooring, causing heavy damage to the kitchen area, firefighters said.

    Officials said a resident had bagged the ashes and placed them under a desk in the kitchen around 9 a.m.

    No one was injured in the blaze. The Red Cross is providing the family with temporary housing until the heat and electricity can be turned back on, firefighters said.

    The fire department advises residents against storing ashes in combustible containers.