Plea Deal Falls Through in East Coast Rapes Case

A plea hearing in Prince William County court is scheduled for today for Aaron Thomas of New Haven.

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012  |  Updated 11:33 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Plea Deal Falls Through in East Coast Rapes Case

Prince William County Police

Aaron Thomas

A plea deal for a New Haven man accused of a series of rapes along the East Coast has fallen through after the defendant told a judge he wasn't sure he knew what he was doing.

A plea hearing had been scheduled in Prince William County in Virginia on Tuesday for Aaron Thomas, who is charged with abducting three teenage trick-or-treaters in 2009 and raping two of them.

But the deal was called off when Thomas revealed hesitation.

"I don't know which way is right and which way is wrong," Thomas told the judge, who then called a recess, according to NBC Washington.

The assaults were the last of 17 that authorities attributed to Thomas, who was linked through DNA and other evidence to assaults and rapes on women as far back as 1997.

Thomas was arrested in March 2011. His lawyers had pursued an insanity defense before dropping those plans.
   
 

Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anytimeiPhone/iPad/Android App | SMS AlertsTwitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
9/27-9/28 - Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out