Tolland High School Closed for Day After CO Incident

Friday, Apr 12, 2013  |  Updated 3:44 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Tolland High School Closed for Day After CO Incident

NBCConnecticit.com

Staff members at Tolland High School became sick from carbon monoxide this morning.

advertisement

Tolland High School students were dismissed on Friday after a leak in cooking equipment in the cafeteria caused high levels of carbon monoxide.

Ambulances rushed to the school around 10 a.m. and four cafeteria workers and one custodian were taken to the hospital as a precaution after suffering flu-like symptoms.

“Three of the ladies in the kitchen were not feeling well. They had a few people coming in check if it was gas smell," said Gail Hannington, who works in the cafeteria. 

Students walked to Tolland Middle School as firefighters investigated and were transported back to get their belongings and dismissed.

The school has been vented and the levels have returned to normal.

The fire chief said no carbon monoxide detector was installed the kitchen because it’s not required by building codes, but that will soon change.

A carbon monoxide detector will be installed in the kitchen and more than likely in schools across the district after today’s incident. officials said.

The school is closed for spring break next week and mechanics will be working on addressing the problem.
 

Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anytimeiPhone/iPad/Android App | SMS AlertsTwitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Get Fit With NBC Connecticut!
The Health & Wellness Festival is back in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out