The Derby Fire Department is still searching for the cause of an early morning fire that sent two people to the hospital.
The fire department responded to 127 Park Ave. just before 4 a.m. on Saturday morning for reports of a structure fire. Upon arrival, they were met with heavy smoke and flames that shot out of the windows of the residence.
The second floor of the two-family home was vacant. Two occupants were able to escape the first floor apartment. The Valley Independent Sentinel reports that they were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire ripped through the kitchen on the first floor and also destroyed several rooms. The home is uninhabitable.