The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and University of Connecticut Fire Department responded to the UConn Storrs campus this afternoon following a chemical spill at a lab on Auditorium Road, authorities said.
No injuries were reported, but the building was evacuated and a DEEP mobile lab was called to the scene to analyze the chemical.
It turned out to be a gallon of the solvent tetrahydrofuran, which DEEP officials said is not very toxic but gives off an "extremely pungent odor" that is "not very pleasant to breathe."
The spill happened in a chemical storage area some time before 1 p.m., according to authorities.
DEEP officials said the building is being ventilated and that students and faculty will be allowed back inside soon.