Wethersfield High School was evacuated because of the smell of smoke this morning. Students are being allowed back inside.
Wethersfield High School was evacuated this morning due to a strong odor of smoke.
The Wethersfield Fire Department responded to the school 411 Wolcott Hill Road around 7:30 a.m. when the fire alarm went off and school officials said it went off because of a suspicious odor, possibly smoke, in the building.
Students were evacuated from the building and emergency crews determined the odor was caused by a motor malfunction in a 23-year-old rooftop air handling unit near the technical education classrooms.
There was no smoke or fire and students were allowed back into the the building by 8:30 a.m.
No one was injured and there was no danger, officials said.
Officials said the incident was an equipment malfunction and it was not associated with the renovation or construction activity.