Equipment Malfunction Set Off Alarms at Wethersfield High

A motor malfunction set off alarms this morning.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBCConnecticut.com
    Wethersfield High School was evacuated because of the smell of smoke this morning. Students are being allowed back inside.

    Wethersfield High School was evacuated this morning due to a strong odor of smoke.

    The Wethersfield Fire Department responded to the school 411 Wolcott Hill Road around 7:30 a.m. when the fire alarm went off and school officials said it went off because of a suspicious odor, possibly smoke, in the building.

    Students were evacuated from the building and emergency crews determined the odor was caused by a motor malfunction in a 23-year-old rooftop air handling unit near the technical education classrooms.

    There was no smoke or fire and students were allowed back into the the building by 8:30 a.m.

    No one was injured and there was no danger, officials said.

    Officials said the incident was an equipment malfunction and it was not associated with the renovation or construction activity.


     

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anytimeiPhone/iPad/Android App | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | First Alert Weather Days