Worker Overcome by Carbon Monoxide in Branford

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Branford Fire Department
    A man was overcome with carbon monoxide while welding in a barge in Branford.

    A man was overcome by carbon monoxide while welding inside a metal barge at Bruce & Johnson’s Marina in Branford on Friday morning.

    The Branford Fire Department responded to 145 South Montowese St. at 10:38 a.m. when they received a report of an injured person.

    The man had been working inside a work barge that Fischer Excavating owns, officials said, and it appears that there was not adequate ventilation.

    His partner recognized the danger and played a crucial role in getting him out of a dangerous situation, according to officials.

    When the fire department arrived, he was out of the barge and disoriented and confused.

    When the fire department tested the site, detectors found carbon monoxide levels of 30ppm inside the hull of the barge, which is enough to cause serious illness and even death, officials said.

    Paramedics treated the man, gave him oxygen and brought him to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

    His condition improved as he was taken to the hospital.

    OSHA was alerted, the Branford Fire Marshal’s Office responded and is investigating.