Family of Norwich Man Fatally Shot by Police Sues City, Officers

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK

    The family of a 52-year-old Norwich man who was fatally shot by Norwich police last year has sued the city and seven police officers.

    Michael Dugas was shot after he called police to a neighborhood park on Feb. 24, 2013. Police said at the time he pointed a handgun during a standoff.

    The Day of New London reports that the lawsuit was brought by Dugas' sister, April Carfi of Waterford.

    Norwich Police Lawsuit

    [HAR] Norwich Police Lawsuit
    The family of Michael Dugas intends to sue the city of Norwich as well as the Police Department for what they say was wrongful death when Michael was fatally shot during an encounter with police.

    The complaint, filed in New London Superior Court, says police used unreasonable, unjustified and excessive deadly force against Dugas. It accuses authorities of negligence and recklessness and claims Dugas suffered extreme emotional distress and pain.

    New London State's Attorney Michael L. Regan said he is preparing his report and would not comment.

    Norwich Police Chief Louis Fusaro would not comment.