Protests in Charlotte, North Carolina, began on Sept. View gallery »
Two Indonesian fishermen who escaped slavery aboard a Honolulu-based tuna and swordfish vessel when it docked at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf are suing the boat's owner for tricking them into accepting dangerous jobs they say they weren't allowed to leave.
Attorneys for Abdul Fatah and Sorihin, who uses one name, say in a lawsuit filed in federal court Thursday that they were recruited in Indonesia seven years ago to work in Hawaii's commercial fishing fleet without realizing they would never be allowed onshore. They have since been issued visas for victims of human trafficking and are living in the San Francisco area.
The lawsuit alleges that San Jose, California, resident Thoai Nguyen, owner and captain of the Sea Queen II, forced Sorihin and Fatah to work up to 20-hour shifts, denied them medical treatment and demanded thousands of dollars if they wanted to leave before their contracts expired. Nguyen did not return calls seeking comment.
Obtained by NBC 4 NY
Surveillance video shows suspected bomber Ahmad Rahami dumping luggage containing a pressure-cooker bomb on a Manhattan street Saturday night, and the heartstopping moments in which multiple passersby fiddle with -- and even kick -- the explosive device over the next hour.
NBC 4 New York obtained the video Thursday, a day after getting exclusive surveillance video of the suspect wheeling the alleged bomb luggage down the street.
Charlotte's police chief said Thursday he planned to show video of an officer shooting a black man to the slain man's family, but the video won't be immediately released to the public. NBC News confirmed Thursday evening that the family of Keith Lamont Scott had seen the shooting dashcam footage. The family is expected to release a statement. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney told reporters during a news conference that the video does not definitively show 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott pointing a gun at anyone.
Carlos Giusti, AP
Most Puerto Ricans faced another night of darkness Thursday as crews slowly restored electricity a day after a fire at a power plant caused the aging utility grid to fail and blacked out the entire island of 3.5 million people. Only about 20 percent of the 1.5 million homes and businesses served by the power utility had power back by Thursday afternoon, and Gov. Alejandro Garcia Padilla said they hoped half would be reconnected by the end of the day. Nearly all of the rest were expected to get electricity again Friday, said Garcia, who declared a state of emergency. Garcia expressed sympathy for people's frustrations over the outage, which comes amid a decade-long economic crunch that has worn down Puerto Ricans.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Thursday laid out his three-point plan for fighting Chicago’s ever-prominent crime problem.
The plan consists of a combination of anti-gang initiatives, stoking economic opportunities and getting more cops on the streets.
New Jersey Lottery
When Dawn Jones realized she'd just hit the lottery, it was definitely a moment. She picked up the phone and called a fellow nurse.
"My heart feels like it's coming out of my chest, I may be having a heart attack," she told him.
"Just breathe," he chuckled.
The Trenton nurse and mother is probably breathing a lot easier after claiming her cash.
Jones won New Jersey's CASH4LIFE lottery, which pays $1,000 a day for the rest of your life. She opted to take the money up front, which amounts to $7 million before taxes.
The White House
The world was horrified by images of a wounded Syrian child sitting dazed and bloodied in an ambulance after an airstrike in Aleppo last month, and now a 6-year-old from New York is offering the boy a home.
The White House posted a copy Wednesday night of the handwritten letter from "Alex" to President Barack Obama. Alex asks the president to bring the boy, identified as Omran Daqneesh, "who was picked up by the ambulance in Syria" to his home in Scarsdale.
A Trump campaign chair in Ohio resigned Thursday after she made several racially insensitive comments in an on-camera interview, including a reference to the Black Lives Matter movement as “a stupid waste of time,” NBC News reports. Kathy Miller, a volunteer chair, made a variety of comments to The Guardian newspaper, which published the interview Thursday. Miller told the publication, “I don’t think there was any racism until Obama got elected.” The video was posted Thursday morning, after the second night of protests in Charlotte, N.C., that were organized in response to the fatal shooting of a black man by Charlotte police. The Trump campaign in Ohio released a statement Thursday confirming that they’d accepted Miller’s resignation and calling her comments “inappropriate.”
Get More at NBC News
The oldest park ranger for the country, is in Washington, D.C. to help celebrate the opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Yahoo said hackers stole personal information from 500 million of its user accounts, a massive security breakdown it attributed to a "state sponsored actor.'' The breach disclosed Thursday, the latest setback for the beleaguered internet company, dates back to late 2014.
Spencer Platt, Getty Images
Thirty-five states and the District of Columbia filed an antitrust lawsuit Thursday alleging that British drugmaker Indivior tried to keep cheaper, generic versions of Suboxone off the market, California's attorney general announced. The complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania also names New Jersey's MonoSol Rx, a pharmaceutical dissolving-film company, for conspiring to corner the market on the popular medication used to treat people hooked on heroin and other painkillers.
Brian Blanco, Getty Images
Charlotte police say the man shot in the head during Wednesday night's protests near a downtown hotel has died. Police spokesman Keith Trietley said in a news release that 26-year-old Justin Carr died Thursday at the hospital. Carr was shot as protesters clashed with police in riot gear lined arm-in-arm protecting the Omni Hotel about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. City officials say Carr was not shot by an officer.
Susan Walsh, AP
Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf stepped down from his position on the Federal Reserve Advisory Council Thursday, according to a statement from the San Francisco Federal Reserve. Wells Fargo told CNBC that Stumpf “made a personal decision to resign” as the council’s Twelfth District's representative. “His top priority is leading Wells Fargo,” the company said. Earlier this week, Stumpf appeared before a Senate Banking Committee hearing on Wells Fargo's sales practices and the roughly 2 million accounts the bank opened without customer authorization. The CEO said on Tuesday he is "deeply sorry" for conduct that "failed to fulfill our responsibilities to our customers, our team members and the American public."
Get More at CNBC.com
Lawrence Police Department
Shocking video emerged Wednesday of a mother passed out from an apparent overdose as her young daughter watched in horror.
Police in Lawrence, Massachusetts, released the video, which shows the mother on the floor of a Family Dollar as her daughter desperately tries to wake her up.
"It's heartbreaking. This is definitely evidence that shows what addiction can do to someone and what happens when they use these types of narcotics," Lawrence Police Chief James Fitzpatrick said.
Officers found residue and paraphernalia consistent with either fentanyl or heroin in the mother's bag, according to Fitzpatrick.