Audio of Pulse Nightclub Gunman's 911 Calls Released | NBC Connecticut
Orlando Nightclub Massacre

Orlando Nightclub Massacre

Coverage of the Orlando nightclub massacre, June 12, 2016

Audio of Pulse Nightclub Gunman's 911 Calls Released

Forty-nine patrons were killed, and another 53 people were seriously wounded during the June massacre

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    The Orlando Police Department on Monday released audio of the 911 call made by Pulse Nightclub shooter Omar Mateen on June 12, 2016. (Published Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016)

    Audio recordings of Pulse nightclub gunman Omar Mateen speaking to police negotiators and dispatchers were released for the first time Monday. The city of Orlando previously had released a transcript of the calls.

    Mateen enunciates emphatically to a police negotiator that he needs to tell the U.S. government to stop bombings in Syria and Iraq. Mateen's voice rises in anger when he talks about the bombings in Iraq and Syria.

    "I want to let you know I'm in Orlando and I did the shooting. My name is I pledge of Allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi of the Islamic State," Mateen said in his first call to 911 dispatchers. 

    In his conversation with an Orlando Police Dept. negotiator around 2:43 a.m., Mateen repeatedly demanded that the U.S. stop bombing in the Middle East and cited the death of senior ISIS leader Abu Wahid by a U.S. airstrike a few weeks earlier as the reason for his rampage.  

    Orlando Survivor: 'Was It Supposed to Be Me?'

    [NATL] Orlando Survivor: 'Was It Supposed to Be Me?'
    Demetrice Naulings decided to flee a bathroom at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, and lived. His best friend, Eddie Justice, got left behind, and died. Through tears, Naulings talks about that night. "My friend wasn't supposed to die in the bathroom on the floor," Naulings said. (Published Wednesday, June 15, 2016)

    An Orlando judge ordered the audio recordings released Monday but won't rule on releasing other 911 calls until she has listened to them.

    Circuit Judge Margaret Schreiber said that audio of those calls made by Mateen during the massacre June 12 must be made public immediately. The city previously released a transcript of the calls. But Schreiber said she can't make a decision on whether 232 other calls can be released until she has heard them.

    More than two dozen news groups, including The Associated Press, have been fighting the city in court over the release of more than 600 calls dealing with the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. The city has released about two-thirds of the calls but are still withholding the 232 calls that lawyers for the city say depict suffering or killing and are exempt from Florida's public records laws.

    The media groups have argued that the city's application of the exemption is too broad and that the 911 calls will help the public evaluate the police response to the shooting at the gay nightclub.

    During Monday's hearing, the judge allowed family members of the 49 patrons who died to testify about whether they wanted the remaining 911 calls made public. The half dozen relatives and family representatives who testified said they opposed the release of audio recordings. Some said they would be comfortable with the release of a transcript but others objected to any release, even in written form.

    "It would be extremely difficult for family and friends to listen to these calls," said Jessica Silva, whose brother, Juan Rivera Velazquez, died with his partner in Pulse. "Just listening to one of the calls ... We can recognize voices. Just listening to them screaming ... How are we going to feel?"

    The hearing also became a forum for several family members to express frustration at the lack of information they've gotten. Some said they hoped they would have a better understanding of what happened by listening to the calls.

    The FBI has offered no indication of when the probe into the shooting that also left 53 people seriously wounded will be done. An FBI spokeswoman didn't immediately return an email seeking comment.

    Orlando Survivor: 'I Regret Having the Second Chance'

    [NATL] 'I Regret Having the Second Chance': Orlando Survivor Burdened by Guilt
    Luis Burbano felt his bones shake when bullets started flying early Sunday at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando. At first, he thought it was part of the music. Burbano, who rushed to the aid of the injured, is now unable to sleep and struggling to understand why he was spared. (Published Tuesday, June 14, 2016)

    Aileen Carillo, whose brother, Simon Adrian Carillo Fernandez, died in the nightclub, said she would like to listen to the calls to help her understand what happened, but didn't want them to be made public.

    "I would like to know what happened. We haven't really heard what happened. We are unaware of the facts," Carillo said on the witness stand through a Spanish interpreter.

    An attorney for the family of 18-year-old Akyra Murray, the youngest Pulse victim, said family members don't want the audio recordings released but would be ok with the release of a transcript.

    "They feel that transparency is wanted," said Richard Klineburger, an attorney from Philadelphia, where Murray's family lives. "We do want to find out a real timeline because to this day, there are no answers."