Miami Dolphin Jonathan Martin said Friday that he looks forward to resuming his career in the National Football League, but said that he does not intend to publicly discuss the NFL's investigation of his experience as a Dolphins player.
Jonathan Martin on Friday said that he looks forward to resuming his career in the NFL and does not intend to publicly discuss the league's investigation of his experience as a Dolphins player at this point.
Martin gave a prepared statement to the media after he left his meeting with independent investigator Ted Wells in New York just after 5 p.m. Friday.
"Although I went into great detail with Mr. Ted Wells and his team, I do not intend to discuss this matter publicly at this time. I do, however, look forward to speaking directly with Stephen Ross, Tom Garfinkel and the Dolphins organization at the appropriate time," Martin said. "This is the right way to handle the matter. Beyond that I look forward to working through the process and resuming my career in the National Football League.”
Martin arrived for the meeting with Wells at around 9:30 a.m. with an attorney and didn't speak with the throng of reporters outside Wells' office.
The meeting comes two and a half weeks after Martin abruptly left the Dolphins following a prank in the team's cafeteria last month.
Allegations later surfaced that Richie Incognito sent Martin, his teammate on the Dolphins’ offensive line, racist and threatening text messages. The Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team on Nov. 3.
Incognito has since filed a grievance against the team over the suspension, NBC News reported.
The Dolphins also want to meet with Martin, but they delayed their meeting until after Wells spoke with him.
Team owner Stephen Ross said last week that he and Martin have communicated by text. Ross said when the story broke he called NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and asked for an independent investigation.
"I don’t think anybody really knows what has happened because no one has really spoken with Jonathan Martin directly," Ross said at a news conference last week.
Though Martin has not spoken publicly since the scandal broke, his lawyer, David Cornwell, has released some details of the bullying claims. Cornwell issued a statement last week with a text of another threatening message from a teammate, also alleging that Martin "endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate."
Incognito spoke out for the first time Sunday in an interview with Fox Sports, saying he's not a racist and defending his relationship with Martin.
"My actions came out of a place of love," Incognito said. "You can ask anyone in the locker room who had Jon Martin's back the most."
More NBC South Florida Stories: