Coach Jim Calhoun and top UConn officials are traveling to Indianapolis on Friday, and it's not for the Final Four. They're spending the day trying to convince the NCAA that the school has done enough to punish itself for recruiting violations in the men's basketball program.
President Philip Austin and athletic director Jeff Hathaway are joining Calhoun to testify at today's hearing before the NCAA's committee on infractions.
Last week, UConn acknowledged violations stemming from the recruitment of former player Nate Miles, but denied an allegation that Calhoun failed to foster an atmosphere of compliance in the program.
Rich Karcher, director of the center for law and sports at the Florida Coastal School of Law, said the school could face additional sanctions if the NCAA affirms that allegation.
"The self-imposed sanctions are essentially a minimum floor," he said. "The NCAA may impose more, but they certainly are not going to reduce what the university self-imposed."
Under the self-imposed sanctions, the scholarships for men's basketball have been reduced from 13 to 12 for the next 2 years. UConn will also reduce the number of coaches who make calls to recruits and put itself on probation for two years.
Yahoo! Sports reported in March 2009 that former team manager Josh Nochimson helped guide Miles to UConn, giving him lodging, transportation, meals and representation. Nochimson is considered a representative of UConn's athletic interests by the NCAA and prohibited from having contact with Miles or giving him anything of value.
Miles was expelled from UConn in October 2008 without ever playing a game for the Huskies. Neither he nor Nochimson cooperated with the NCAA investigation.
The school also has admitted that five players from last year's team also received improper calls. Those players were declared ineligible when the school discovered the calls, and were reinstated by the NCAA last November.
UConn opens practice tonight for the upcoming season.