- 4 French Bread or Ciabatta Slices-cut lengthwise about 6”long
- 4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves-peeled, and sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 Basil Leaves-cut into little strips
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese-shredded
- 8 Heirloom Tomato Slices-about ¼” thick, each cut in half
- Salt and Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 400ºf. Place the French bread slices out onto a cookie sheet. Place the cut side of the bread facing up and brush evenly with the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake for about 5 minutes or until golden.
Remove from the oven and rub the cut side of the garlic cloves all over the cut side of the toasted bread. Discard extra garlic. Top with about half of the basil, leaving extra for garnish. Top each with an equal amount of the cheese.
Place in the oven for 3 minutes or just until the cheese melts.
When out of the oven, garnish with the tomato slices, the remaining basil and season the tomato tops with salt and pepper. Serves four.